Sunday, June 17, 2012

Victoria Advocate Online - Shuffling the Deck Again........

......I write, therefore I am. Read. Right? Maybe? Interesting seeing the reaction from the point of an outsider, of the intelligencia that remains posting on the Vicad, most anonymous, and all of which including staff, can be counted on two hands - if that.........seem to be up in arms. Similarly, Mr. Williams, and a bunch more of the usual suspects, are deathly silent. The Vicad forums really had no forward place to go other than this Coblerseque step. Might work, might not. Depends on who you ask. Bottom line is this. The Advocate online forums had become something akin to rap music - like it or not, a nasty, and in a large part, illiterate, and undoubtedly backwoods social network out of control. It will be interesting to see if they back down, or go through with the MyFace morphing. I will be willing to venture a guess who will stay on board when the smoke clears, and who will tuck tail and scurry for the baseboards.........and which bloggers who have their own world over her, will flourish in another arena.
Signed
Banned for life......
Pilot

BTW, & FWIW I have a facialbook account, and I am active in posting there. Much as I have since starting this online tit for tat, I won't post anything I am not afraid to take credit for and associate with a reasonably current photo. If some freak wants to take exception with that, they will become acquainted with some of my more private personal habits.

7 comments:

not securely anchored said...

On newspapering, I quote David Crisp of Montana, whose blog (http://billingsnews.com/davidsblog/) I recommend: "It’s a given in journalistic circles that writers are lazy and incompetent, editors are idiots, and publishers are cowards, which makes for some nimble mental gymnastics in those of us who handle all three jobs." So I can see why Cobler moved the Advocate to Facebook comments -- get rid of the headache of editing?

Pilot said...

Well, where the hangers on and the latest crop of "citizen journalists", and the usual suspects have all of a sudden gone silent on the pissing and moaning front, I can't help but wonder if the vicad has sent out selective e-mails, promising to rethink their hasty decision to cut over to facebook. Not that I doubt the Advocate's sincerity, it is just that the masses aren't known to just quit bitching overnight, unless they are either appeased or threatened. I assume the post is still open for comments, though being banned, I can't independently verify that. Orwell was on the right track, if early, but I don't think even he could have envisioned "Big Brother" being so dysfunctional.

Pilot said...

In seeing the plethora of new usernames appearing on the Vicad online of late, I cannot help but wonder if the employees there have been given a quota of new relatives and friends they must sign up to pump up the online numbers. Not sure how that will mesh with the FB transition, if they don't cave to the threats of the staid few who are on the rag over this slap in the face. I just can't imagine what they are all so up in arms about. I have personally welcomed and embraced each and every new incarnation of the Vicad blogs since I can remember.

Anonymous said...

David Crisp is a Victoria Boy. VHS grad about 69 or so

Pilot said...

Just a little crossed up here.......after years of thumping on the Advocate, basically for the sleaziness of their "new blogs", I get in a place where I start to cut them some slack, and think maybe this facebook thing will at least un-bastardize the fucking mess they have made of what many of us thought worked well, thank you very much, it appears that public opinion......when did they start listening to that?.....has them crawfishing.

Then as if to add a yokel punctuation mark, on their website, the actually publish a video of a fucking audio recording. VICADTV.....coming (sigh) to a computer near you.

Sugar Magnolia said...

Yep. Just posted my last on the VicAd. Had to let go of a lot the past few months, and now I finally feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Time to move on. We don't need the Crapocate Tabloid. And there's really not much else to say.

Anonymous said...

In RE Oil booms and busts. I remember the bumper sticker from last one. "Lord grant me one more boom and this time I won't screw it up"

Some Democrats on here make big fun and deride the Eagle Ford being Reagan's "Trickle down economics" The Eagle Ford boom is a perfect example of trickle down economics. Each well probably cost in excess of 10 million dollars to drill complete not a mom and pop operation. When the well is completed the return starts to the Company and to all persons and businesses in that area. See Karnes, Atacosa, and all in that
area even to Victoria. Obama talked "shovel ready jobs" Think rock bit ready jobs. 2000 to 2500 actual jobs on the rigs who can actual know or compute the multiplier of those jobs.