Monday, October 5, 2009

Lawyerin' 101

I heard a little blurb by a lawyer on KTRH this morning, driving home after dropping my kids at school, that in my book, really typifies why the general consensus among humans toward lawyers, is what it is. Now being recently divorced, it is not like I needed to reload to take a few more shots at lawyers, but this one just made me roll my eyes..... There was a news story about someone in a condominium, who had sued another resident owner of a neighboring condo, for infringing on his right to enjoy peace and quiet.....I didn't catch what the squawk was about the alleged perpetrator actually doing, but it apparently was a trial that is about to come to a conclusion, and being a slow news day, the radio reporter asked a lawyer his professional opinion of the suit........

His reply was to say that while there are smokers who bother other folks by smoking around non-smokers, and ones who would play their music louder than maybe a neighbor would find acceptable, essentially saying so astutely, "different strokes for different folks". But his closing statement was that given that people are living in such close proximity to one another these days, that he personally saw this case as an indicator that an whole new field or type of specialized litigation was being born ........huh?

That pretty much explains the statement I read by a lawyer once, "It's a shame people feel the way they do about lawyers, when it's really only 98% of the lawyers that give all the rest of us a bad name.........

2 comments:

Sugar Magnolia said...

Hey, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it. That thing about people living in such close proximity to one another, now, he may be onto something there. I don't know if it merits a whole new "subdiscipline" of practice, but I will tell you I am glad there were such things as lawyers and courts when I had some yahoos living too close to me in Conroe that liked to raise all sorts of hell. Took the apartment managers awhile, but they were finally evicted, and the process no doubt involved lawyers and such. That was the only time I ever had issues with neighboring apartment dwellers, but it was finally dealt with satisfactorily.

The lawyer I use from time to time to draw up important papers is a good person, and was once a judge in these parts. I find myself lucky to call her my friend as well as my lawyer. It just strikes me funny that she apparently finds being a lawyer in private practice a more lucrative (or perhaps satisfying?) occupation than being a judge. Hmmmmmm......

Edith Ann said...

You know why sharks won't eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

Ba-duh-bum!

I have a philosophy about lawyers. Most of the time they are just slithering around giving snakes and whale dung a good name. But every once in a while, when you really need one, they usually come through and redeem the entire profession.

I have a friend that I admire a great deal, and he is an attorney. I feel like he has always been honest with me, and I've rarely gone wrong following his advice.

But, yeah, smart guy who finds the new field of specialized law--'close proximity rights' litigation. I could use one right now. Next door neighbor (townhome)just installed surround sound...